The vision of Redemption Tempe is to make disciples who “live all of life, all for Jesus.”
We long to see our city filled with men and women who deeply love God and sacrificially love their neighbors. We long to see neighborhoods filled with Christ-like ambassadors of friendship and gospel proclamation. We long to see every industry filled with the faithful witness of excellent work that contributes to the common good. We long to see families as launch pads for worship and mission. And we long to see every issue of public life engaged with wisdom and vision that comes from a Biblical worldview.
Therefore, we are launching a project to lead the whole church to read through the whole Bible for a whole year. Our hope is that this will saturate our community in the only story that can give meaning to all of life, and shape a community based on Gospel-infused love.
The True Story
The Bible is the true story of the whole world. It provides a life-defining lens through which to see the world, often called a “worldview.” The Bible gives meaning to everything — from the rhythms of family life to the decisions of public life, from the discernment of vocation to the choice of our location, from our conduct among friends to our response toward so-called enemies. And preeminently, it’s the story of the God who invites us to know him and experience the love of Christ.
Historically, when the church has understood the nature of the story and how to live within it, she has initiated some of the most life-giving movements and institutions the world has seen: hospitals, universities, the abolition of the slave trade, sanctity of life, etc.
However, when Christians have misunderstood, distorted, or chosen to live within a false and idolatrous story, we have misused the Bible to endorse things like slavery, domestic violence, apartheid, genocide, etc. Therefore, it’s vitally important that we, as a church, immerse ourselves in the Bible, seeking to understand its message and listen for the Holy Spirit’s guidance.
The Word of God is the True Story of the whole world. Join us as we immerse ourselves in this True Story as a whole church through the whole Bible for a whole year.
Welcome to The True Story Project.
How to Engage:
1) Bible Reading Plan: We’re inviting each person who is a part of Redemption Tempe to use a common reading plan. We have partnered with The Bible Project to provide you a plan that takes you through the entire bible in one year.
- Daily Reading: The scriptures are divided up into sixteen sections and organized in semi-chronological order. You’ll read two or three chapters a day. Along with a reading plan for adults, you will also find a reading plan for children through the Jesus Storybook Bible.
- Daily Psalm: We’ve also listed one Psalm for each day. Rather than an in-depth study of the Psalm, we encourage you to slowly pray through it, making its words your own. By the end of the year, you’ll have prayed through the book of Psalms 2.5 times.
- Bible Project Videos: Whenever you come to the next book of the Bible there will be a short animated video on The Bible Project website about that book’s design and message and what to look for as you read. You will also find theme videos relating to several topics that appear throughout Scripture.
2) Redemption Community: It’s important to engage scripture in community. Therefore our Redemption Communities (small groups) will be focused on discussing and responding to what we read in the Bible Reading Plan. Email (add link) to get connected to a Redemption Community.
3) SQUID Approach: We’ve created a simple approach that will help you understand the Biblical story, shape your vision of the world, and to hear from the living God as you read scripture. We’re inviting everyone to use this method in their individual reading and as the basis for their discussions in Community.
4) Resources: We’ve provided several resources to help you engage scripture this year, including:
- True Story Table: Visit our table in the lobby to find good books and resources.
- Redemption Tempe Podcast: A dynamic conversation about The True Story Project answering questions from the Bible and reflecting on the implications for All of Life.
- True Story resource list: Find a current list of media and print resources on our Resource Page.
For a full and updated list of resources, please visit the True Story area of our website: tempe.redemptionAZ.com/true-story-project
If you have any questions about The True Story Project, please contact us at email@example.com.